Wednesday, July 3, 2013

EDTECH Challenges

After reading the 2012 and 2013 Horizon Reports, I wanted to address the 2013 challenge that "K-12 must address the increased blending of formal and informal learning".  I couldn't agree more.  I have personally used the traditional lecture and test model for some time, although I try to spice it up with fun and useful activities between the lecture and test.  These activities could be drill-and-practice, conversational, reading/writing, listening, kinesthetic, collaborative, etc.  Very rarely, however, do I incorporate informal or project-based learning, and (as a result?) I struggle to challenge the upper end of my class with higher-level thinking skills. 

Technology is a huge component of my lessons, but it's almost always teacher-centered, and is used to SHOW students something.  Rarely do my students get a chance to DO something with technology.  To be fair, my school isn't really set up for this, either!  A few years ago (or at least a few decades ago!) I would have considered myself a creative and effective teacher.  But something has been gnawing on me, telling me that I can do better for myself and for my students.

The material I've read for this MET program so far has struck a chord with me.  I feel like I'm unearthing the answer to my career's missing link.  I pride myself on being a lifelong learner, and am constantly praising the Internet for being the amazing resource it is.  "What did we ever do before the Internet?!?" I say.  "What did I ever do before my iPhone?!?"  Through the miracle of technology and interconnectedness, I have been able to teach myself how to knit, how to play the ukulele, I keep up on current events, I became semi-proficient in Italian (then forgot it all...), I plan vacations, research topics that interest me, practice my Spanish, stay in touch with people half a world away... the list goes on and on!

So if this is the way that I enjoy learning, why not pass that opportunity along to my students?  What could be more "real world"?

A-ha!

With new tools available and a new type of student (that expects to use these tools!), teachers can't ignore the power of educational technology any longer.  We need to integrate informal learning so that students learn how to learn.  They have their whole lives ahead of them, and technology is only going to become more powerful and ever-present.  Therefore, I believe we have a responsibility to empower them in navigating this world!

I don't feel that my school has embraced the possibilities AT ALL.  If there are teachers at my school using technology and informal learning in their classes, then I don't know anything about it.  We have a computer lab (which is always full; you must reserve it weeks in advance if you want a turn) that is mostly used for research.  I think a couple core teachers take their students down for practice tests that supposedly prepare them for one of the many high-stakes standardized tests.  At any rate, there are about 60 computers in the lab (maybe 50 that work on any given day) and nearly 800 students.  Most of my students tell me it's difficult to get on a computer outside of school, so I rarely ask them to do anything computer-based.  (I did when I first got to the school, and it was an epic failure.)

Rather than sitting around and waiting for funding to catch up, I am excited to see so much positive data on the success of "Bring Your Own Device" policies, or BYOD.  I created the video for this week's assignment with BYOD in mind.  If I could convince my administration to allow me to pilot this, I could begin integrating much more technology and informal learning into my classes.  I could start this very fall!  That prospect is extremely exciting, and I've become a little obsessed the last couple days over what I could have my students do on smartphones and other mobile devices.  I'd say the sky's the limit!

In closing, I would say that BYOD isn't an endpoint in my action plan to incorporate more emerging technology.  But I am a realist and I know that my school isn't likely to change overnight.  There are major money and space restrictions working against us.  As such, BYOD seems like a logical first step towards a more blended and modern classroom.  Now just wish me luck in getting permission!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment